Lefthanded-Rightminded

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Leighton McHelpless

I took advantage of my Memorial Day Weekend by taking advantage of other peoples' kindness and accompanying two married couples on a camping trip. Our trip took us through most of the state of New Mexico. I have attached photos.


The view from the rest stop where we ate lunch. The plain is covered in lava rock, although I have no clue where the lava came from, as I did not see a volcano around, or when it arrived, as it could have occurred last year for all I know. I, along with the rest of the United States, do not follow New Mexico news. My friend calls NM a parking lot state, meaning that it should just provide parking for the two important states of New York and California. An interesting fact about this rest stop: a man walked out of the public restroom eating a burrito.


As a break from driving, we stopped to shoot cans and smoke cigarettes on a deserted road. No, not the classiest thing I've ever done, but it was fun. How dare you accuse me.


The canyon where we camped. I call it the canyon of self-discovery, because I discovered something about myself there. (Are you following the connection?) I have gotten used to having my brother-in-law around, and I ask him to do things that I could easily do if I exerted the three minutes of effort to figure it out myself. I gave myself the new nickname Leighton McHelpless after I couldn't get my sleeping bag zipped and asked Ronnie to do it. Sure, I can move myself around New York City three times, but I can't close a sleeping bag. Is it laziness? Well, I know it is not that. I ran half a mile yesterday. Maybe I just have an innate knack for delegation. That has to be it.


White Sands, New Mexico. This is where the magic happens. I don't know what it means for your life, but I'm pretty sure it's a Narnia portal.


An unfortunate detour to Elephant Butte, the only lake capable of sending five people spiraling into depression.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

some great photos there! i'm inspired. i need to get out more.
-trizzle

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home