Lefthanded-Rightminded

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Papa Sang Bass, Mama Sang Tenor


I made it! I am safely out of New York and in Santa Fe. The trip went very quickly, due mainly to my ability to sleep on planes. In fact, on my flight from Chicago to Albuquerque, I had three seats to myself and was able to stretch out and take a proper nap. I am a plane sleeper of the truest kind because I refuse to use any sort of medication. Plane sleepers need dedication, not pills. Rookies think that if you are meant to sleep on planes then you will fall asleep quickly and sleep undisturbed until the nap is over. It's not true. Even the best of us are going to be woken up frequently by turbulence, overeager flight attendants and crying babies. Waking up is not the problem; the issue is whether or not you will make yourself go back to bed. I woke up a number of times, but refused to actually sit up until I heard," Flight attendants, prepare the cabin for landing." At that point, I accepted success and sat up, buckled myself in properly, chewed gum and put on a hat.

My brother-in-law, Ronnie, picked me up from the airport. When I last saw Ronnie, a month ago, he promised that he would hit me next time he saw me. As we drove to Santa Fe, we received a call from my sister. I was looking out the window while Meghan and Ronnie talked, but I heard Ronnie say,"Guess what I'm going to give Leighton right now." And with that, he socked me in the thigh. The nice thing about having a blog is that I can choose to give my side of the story and leave out any instigation on my part. I feel so powerful.

As expected, I felt healthier within hours of being here. In fact, I am currently eating a brown rice rice cake. My poor insides have been so warped due to convenience and high fructose corn syrup. No longer, poor body, no longer.

On another note, I received a call last night letting me know that a list I submitted to a Web site called McSweeney's has been posted! You can check it out here: http://www.mcsweeneys.net/links/lists/. It is titled "Responses to People on the 6 Train That Hopefully Convey My Feelings in a Polite Way."

2 Comments:

Blogger Carl said...

Switch "medication" and "pills" in the first paragraph for a more effective posting.

3:20 PM  
Blogger J & D said...

found your blog through a link from kottke. your'e an undiscovered talent. funny stuff.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home