Lefthanded-Rightminded

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Save CBGB's

Last night, like every other Friday night, I went to CBGB's to watch a metal band called Still Life Decay. I got a call from my friend, Carrie, on the cab ride over. When I told her what I was doing, she laughed and asked what I was wearing. She was trying to save me the embarrassment of, in her words, looking like a dork. I appreciated the thought. We all know that was a possibility.

The frontman of Still Life Decay is a man named Fade, who is the sound tech at CBGB's, a talented musician, and quite possibly the nicest person you have ever met. He has been helping us out with the sound at church, which is great since the equipment, as I have mentioned before, is not the greatest. Anyway, Katrina and I show up at the show, and we move towards the front. There is a white sheet hanging behind the band, with films of kids and spiders and other black and white images being projected onto it depending on the song. All four members are heavily tattooed, dressed in all black, and have dreadlocks down to their lower back. Fade's are blonde.

The music begins. Fade is screaming. I am grinning.

I am trying to get everything to fit together in my head: A few hours ago, I was counting how many articles had been written about peripheral arterial disease and trying to figure out the circulation of each outlet. Now I am watching a metal band. I am wearing the same outfit. Fade is softspoken, kind, demure and helpful, and now he is crouched on the ground hissing lyrics into a microphone as the strobe light mirrors the base line.

I decided to figure out different things I would yell if I was the lead singer of a metal band:

MY MOM BOUGHT THE WRONG SALAD DRESSING, AGAIN
THINK I WANT A DOG, BUT THINK ABOUT THE COMMITMENT
I REALLY LIKE PIZZA; JUST HAD A SLICE AT JOE'S
LETTER ABOUT MY 401K AND DON'T UNDERSTAND A WORD
LAUNDRY ROOM IS DOWN 6 FLOORS, DOWN 6 FLOORS, I SAID DOWN 6 FLOORS
DON'T BUY A NEW FAX MACHINE EACH YEAR, JUST INVEST IN ONE THAT WILL LAST
I WANT TIVO [repeat]

All in all, really fun night. Sage and Hella were there, and I can't think of a situation with them that wouldn't be fun. Maybe some kind of surgery?

http://www.stilllifedecay.com/

2 Comments:

Blogger Hella Fabulous said...

you liked CREED? hmmm...that changes everything.

nah, still love you.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surgery, yes... possibly eternity in hell? ...if you continue with that devil music... haha

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home