Lefthanded-Rightminded

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A Few Thoughts for Me Mates

If I were a true pirate and lived on a pirate ship, I believe I would have a hard time trusting my fellow pirate co-workers. I mean, we take what is not ours by force daily, and we scoff at the rules of the land. Sure, we have our own code, but I tend to think that our constant devaluing of other people's lives and property would have to seep into our interpersonal affairs. And then what? Who do I share my prized collection of bejeweled goblets with- one of the women I've raped or one of the families I have torn apart? It's a lonely life, and one that I did not fully understand when I began my apprenticeship. I just thought we would drink a lot and roll around in gold coins and peel fruit with large knives, and form lasting bonds. But here I am- a murderer, a thief, and a scoundrel who doesn't know if he can count on his pirate friends to show up to his birthday party at the Rusty Oar. It's time to make some non-pirate friends. Maybe I should join a band or take a pottery class at the local community college.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your writing. if you still lived in NYC, i would do my darndest to wisk you away on our very own pirate ship.

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. This is exactly what it's like to work in advertising. Good call.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home