Lefthanded-Rightminded

Thursday, December 01, 2005

The River Was Wide, and Too Hard to Cross

(Parts of address have been whited out for safety purposes)

This came in the mail the other day from Kentucky Fried Chicken. Talk about mass advertising having an individual effect. I saw the coupons on the counter addressed to "Chicken Lover," and I thought, "How did they know that???!!!! I eat chicken ALL THE TIME." Then my roommate Katrina came home, and she thought it was addressed to her, because she loves chicken too!

I wonder how they got my address. The last time I had KFC was a few weeks ago. It was a real low point in my life. Katrina and I were locked out (again) and our apartment had been broken into the day before (ironic- burglars can get in but we cannot), and we sat in the 100 degree heat of the hallway and ate KFC snackers. On second thought, was it a low point or a high point?

Last night I went to a comedy show at the Parkside Lounge with Katrina (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=15965955&Mytoken=4B3E51C4-BB25-4231-906B1736100E4052504954812) and Hella (http://www.myspace.com/fabulousbabe) to see a comedian named Dave Hill (http://www.davehillonline.com/). We arrived a few minutes after the show was supposed to start, and there were five women at a table and no one on stage. We thought we might be at a private party. Much to my relief, the show started a few minutes later. The format of the show was standup, improv skit, standup, improv skit, and so on and so forth. Dave Hill was the first act and also the funniest. The stuff for the next hour and a half was not very funny. At least, the acts were not funny. It was really funny to watch Hella entertain herself once she got bored. She was crocheting a hat and kept putting it on to see if it fit, and then she would check her cell phone clock. Katrina and I made comments about the acts, and that was fun too. For example, "how did he manage to get a girlfriend?" or "that wasn't very funny." (The mean comments were from Katrina.)

Having done two improv shows and been in scenes that were not funny at all, I do not appreciate the fact that I criticized people who got up there and took a chance. But I was sort of bored and could not keep it in. And Katrina eggs me on.

After the show, I went and met my friend, Ashlee, who was only in town for about a day and a half. She was staying at the Mandarin Oriental, so I stayed with her, and we ended up eating pumpkin pie and playing Sudoko and watching TV. I forgot to pack a hairbrush, and Ash doesn't use one, so let me tell you- I look really pretty today.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hella Fabulous said...

oh my goodness - my crocheting has been exposed. update on the hat: i had to unravel it since i think it was too small and in order for it to have fit an adult person, i would have needed miles and miles of yarn. plus, in the flurry of acitivity before the show, i ran into the yarn store and bought the wrong color yarn. so there was no way i was going to finish that hat in this lifetime.

and ps, i too am now getting mail addressed to chicken lover. so glad.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home