Lefthanded-Rightminded

Saturday, December 10, 2005

If you still want me, please forgive me

The office is decidedly creepy on Saturdays. There is a big medical meeting going on, so I am here today media monitoring, faxing stuff, getting a bloody nose, talking to my mom, listening to Arcade Fire, talking on IM, printing emails and, obviously, posting my deepest hopes and fears.

This week, for some reason, I was able to get caught up with a number of good friends that I have not talked to in a while but that I am used to talking to every day. I said these a lot- "You're what?!" or "What?!" or "You're doing what?!" Everyone just kept dropping statements like, "Elevator guy and I have been emailing," or "I am at the computer lab with the girl I am dating," or "Remember Brian? I found out he has two daughters." It was hilarious. Have I been asleep for five years? I had not talked to some of them in a few weeks, but for one it had only been three days. Oh you guys...

Ok, I thought I was the only one here today, but I seriously keep hearing noises.

I am not running the sound board at church tomorrow; I get a week off and am pretty excited about it. Last Sunday, I felt like I was in a sound technician class and taking my final exam. One service ended at 10:45, and I had fifteen minutes to transition the stage from two keyboards and four singers to a set up with one keyboard, three guitars, drums, bass and six singers. As I am changing the mics, someone comes up to me and says, "Hey Leighton, this is Mike from Atlanta. He and Maria are going to sing a duet, and Mike is going to play the guitar. Where should we plug his guitar in?" I don't know- why don't you call me a week ago and we'll discuss it? There was no sound check, they just all started playing at 11:05. Then, the left speaker kept cutting in and out, so it would go from really loud to really soft.

I am looking for suggestions for more stressful hobbies than improv and running a sound board- Gambling my grandparents' retirement money? Juggling newborns?

I had a really nice conversation with my mom. She said, "I'm sorry you're at work; if you were home, I would make you tuna casserole and we could watch Everwood." If home was closer than a four day drive, I would head there right now. I would say, "Mom, start the tuna casserole. I will be right there."

I am going to brave the dark halls and get myself some tea. If I do not post for another week, call the police.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home