Lefthanded-Rightminded

Monday, June 12, 2006

Cause the healing has begun

Tonight, as my sister and I lay listening to Van Morrison's "Into the Music," (not to be confused with "Into the Mystic," but thanks to all of those people who love to correct me), Meghan posed a shocking question. What is Van Morrison's first name?

Now, as a dedicated fan of ten years, I was ashamed to admit that I had always just assumed it was Van. I had never dared to question my sweet singer's coolness by thinking that he had chosen to use only his last name as a stage name. I felt this would have put him in a category with people like Cher and Prince, a categorization that would sully Van's pristine reputation.

Supposing he did have a first name that he had dropped, Meghan and I stared at the "Into the Music" album cover and speculated on first names. Cliff Van Morrison. Teddy Van Morrison. Wolf Van Morrison. Leighton Van Morrison. Hmmm.

Thanks to Wikipedia, the convenient online encyclopedia where any fact could be made up, the puzzle has been solved. His full name is George Ivan "Van" Morrison. His last name is in fact Morrison, and his first name is essentially Van, although George is his legal name. I love you "Van."

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a large problem with you degrading Prince on your blog. In case you were wondering Prince is 5 ft. 2 inches of raw sex, beauty, and genius. Van Morrison should be so lucky to be mentioned in the same sentence as Prince. Honestly, what would you rather hear a lover whisper in your ear: 1) Your My brown eyed girl, or 2) why dont you turn your big ass round so that i can work on that zipper baby. case closed.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Leighton said...

Listen Hearlson, I don't know who you think you are, but I don't have time to address every reason why you are wrong. Let me say this: First, Van was being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame while Prince was just beginning to sort out which title and/or symbol would best represent the confusion that is his persona. Second, if Prince wanted to work on my zipper, he would need a step stool.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lulu,
I went to go get a pizza a couple of days ago, and accidentally looked, and breathed, in somebody elses pizza box. it was pepperoni and mushrooms. Nobody cared and everybody cared. It is from that moment forward that I 'can' in fact, eat things that other people have breathed on; not to say I, in the past, just spewed things up that other people breathed on. Please don't judge me though, I mean, I uest to eat just about anything on which spit had not been layed.
Then I went to Vegas, lost money, drank free beer, and went to bed. I feel very in touch with the common people after Vegas. One time, in the elevator, I was zipping up my pants after tucking in my shirt, so as to maintain my cleanliness, and a married couple walked in and thought that it was ok. I was in Sin City on 6/06/06, and tucked my shirt in...damn.
Take that Devil!!!!!!!!!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Mad Guru said...

I think the old Brooklyn Dodger player, Van Lingle Mungo, might have been a Hall of Famer had his name actually been Van Leighton Mungo.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Into the Music" (Van Morrison) is the best album ever recorded by anyone.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home