Lefthanded-Rightminded

Saturday, June 30, 2007

My Adventures at Classical Music Summer Camp

I recently went with my mom and sister to a week-long chamber music camp at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California. What kind of people go to adult classical music summer camp? Out of about 45 people, 10% were normal musicians (a bit of an oxymoron), 40% gnomes and trolls, 20% men who were about to keel over and die, and 30% women who had never lived.

As we drove up to the University of the Pacific and I saw the tower of Saruman the White, I thought that my mom had tricked me into attending Lord of the Rings camp (best trick ever!)

My suspicions were further substantiated when I ate my first meal with all of the gnomes and trolls, but I was disappointed when I showed up to breakfast on Tuesday wearing my elf ears, only to find that everyone else had brought their instruments.

There was little time to focus on the other campers, considering the drama I had brought with me. My cello, Leighton, and I have been having problems ever since I cracked his base a few months ago. I've tried apologizing, but he doesn't want to hear it. I thought that camp could be a fresh start for us; a chance to get away and rekindle our sweet music. Things went well the first day.

By day two it was back to the same old squeaking and complaining.

On day three, Leighton went water skiing without me, which was not only rude but also a complete lie.

It took a week, but we worked everything out.

I promised to keep an eye on the crack and get it fixed if it spreads and/or begins affecting the tone. Leighton promised to cut the attitude and starting working with me instead of against me. Classical music camp? More like relationship camp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home