Lefthanded-Rightminded

Sunday, September 30, 2007

It's A Wonder I Still Enjoy Warm Nights

As I helped my brother move into his new apartment this afternoon, I looked out his window to a view of a slope leading to a sidewalk. I flashed back to a warm Saturday night four years ago, when I was tucked into my low bed next to an open window in my apartment in Westwood, California. As I began to drift off, I heard footsteps in the bushes directly outside my first floor window, followed by the sound of a drunk college male pooping. I knew that he was pooping because he yelled it to his friends on the sidewalk so they wouldn't misunderstand and think that he was just peeing. Nope, he needed more time than that, and he let them know why.

As I looked out my brother's window at the setting sun, that was all I thought about. No other memories came to mind. Just that one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Meghan said...

this is a beautiful recollection. thank you for sharing...there is no "right" or "wrong" here, but somehow your stories make me lose my "appetite."

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, leighton.
First of all, i did not know that was your window.
Secondly, i had tons of cheese and some of them did not agree with me. some of the dairy demanded to be evacuated from my intestinal tract, stat.
Third, all my friends were going to this party and i did not want to arrive late by myself and have to explain why i fell behind. it's just easier to enter with a bunch of friends.
I apologize for the poop I left by your window.
On a side note, the shrubs around that particular window is now abnormally large and dense.
i like to think that i helped.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home