Lefthanded-Rightminded

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Dinner of a Lifetime

For the past week, my brother-in-law has been working on the set of an educational film being shot here in Santa Fe. Last night, for the second time this week, my sister and I joined him and the crew for dinner. We were talking to the person overseeing the shoot, a kind man named Lee, when someone made a comment about him receiving royalties for a Superbowl commercial that featured MacGyver (man, icon, hero to all). It begged the question, "Why do you receive royalties for that commercial?"

Because he created the show.

At that moment, I lost any shred of cool (or social etiquette) that I possessed. What do I say? I tell him about how the show inspired me to wear one pair of shorts for a whole year in elementary school, a pair of blue cordoruy shorts that I nicknamed the survivor shorts after I stuffed the pockets full of anything that MacGyver might need in an emergency, such as gum wrappers, rubber bands, paper clips, a pocket knife, etc. I never actually needed to use anything in the pockets, but at least I was prepared for any office emergency, and at least I was really popular. Oh, wait...

I was overwhelmed at the opportunity to be able to tell someone, to their face, how their work had changed and molded my life. It was like getting to thank a doctor after open heart surgery or playing basketball with the player who inspired you to go pro. I don't know where I would be without your contribution to society, Lee. God bless all things MacGyver-related.

5 Comments:

Blogger they call me the R said...

MacGyver = sex. Hot, hot, sex.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom would agree with you. Don't think she did the shorts thing, though . . .

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the only fitting way to thank him would have been to fashion a life-saving device from whatever you happened to have on hand, such as a S.C.U.B.A. tank from a 2-liter bottle and some Saran Wrap, etc.

you know, 'cause MacGyver makes lots of stuff out of things! he's, uh, very resourceful and shit!

yes, i'm done now.

--joe

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i bet he likes potatoes

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow... lee brought me many hours of happiness as a child. and set a really high bar for all men thereafter. ("what, you can't fix that leak?!?! macgyver could've done it with pantyhose and a stick of gum... what kind of a 'man' are you?!) this is a more exciting near-celebrity spotting than any i ever had in star-studded ny or la!

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home