Lefthanded-Rightminded

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Piece of Cake

Problem: wedding cake

Every bride-to-be says these words: "Groom-to-be and I tasted our wedding cake last week and it is the best cake we've ever had." When I was a child and thought like a child, I took the happy couple at their word. Now that I am an adult, I realize that wedding cake is actually the worst cake in the world. While the bride and groom taste freshly baked mini cakes, wedding cake is actually baked days before the wedding, and it is made in bulk. Anyone who has ever tried to turn spaghetti for four into spaghetti for forty knows that a multiplied recipe never tastes as good as the original, even when the math is done correctly.

Solution: Leighton's shawarma cake

Since the best cake in the world is obviously Pillsbury's Moist Supreme Funfetti cake with Betty Crocker's Rainbow Chip frosting, but since it would look sloppy to have a table at the reception covered in homemade cakes, I have decided that the ideal way to serve this to a large crowd would be in the style of the shawarma: bake twenty Funfetti cakes, pile them on a vertical spit, ice the tower of cakes, and then hire someone with a machete to shave off slices.

When this takes off, I would like you to remember where you first read about it.

14 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

Oh, I'll tell people where I heard it. ie, here. Because, it is brillant. Mmmm... mush of cake.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a sense of pride as I realize that my arabness has finally rubbed off on you. we have a guy in anaheim named Shawarma Bob... at least thats what we call him, we never found out his real name. but he's a good carver.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How dare you. What's your next idea? Attractive bridesmaid dresses?

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

His real name is Muhammad :)

3:15 PM  
Blogger ali+heron said...

Great - now I have to tell my fiancee he cannot have this, as it will pretty much horrify my mother into total meltdown (started by his stated desire for a BBQ). Great idea though - can't wait to see when someone on the internets puts it into practice!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Ariel said...

Love love love this idea, and blogged it on offbeatbride.com. :)

9:24 AM  
Blogger Ashleigh said...

OMG! funfetti is my favorite cake ever and I have been "joking" that it should be our wedding cake...but made it really should be our cake of choice!

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funfetti cake IS our wedding cake. I should see if our baker can make it shawarma style LOL, it was like pulling teeth just to convince her to make it funfetti instead of lemon or her famous cappucino, I don't wanna push my luck. Awesome idea though!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i dont know how you can blog about cake when our economy is obviously entering a recession and people are suffering. You should discuss more pertinent topics, such as how your cat is ravaging my comforter with her claws.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a neat idea. I do love Funfetti cake! And it would be less expensive...mmm now I'm gonna have to go grab a box of Funfetti cake mix and fix me some cupcakes tonight! lol

2:03 PM  
Blogger Biz said...

Funfetti has been my birthday cake for years....and I hope my groom will let me have it when I get married. THe question is, will I have time to make ten funfetti cakes two days before my own wedding.. ;)

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the head of a major investment company; I'd like to announce that my idea is to make a gold cake, with diamonds on top - served by Tanya Harding and Jose Canseco. ...the cake must be eaten. "Let them eat cake!!"

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea!... I like this better than individual cupcakes! Sounds tasty and inexpensive..

8:21 AM  
Blogger Tory MacDonald said...

Oh I loved this blog entry, it gave me quite the giggle imagining a tower of fun feti cakes sliced with a machete! Sadly they don't make it sugar free (for my husband to be) and/or Gluten free (for me) =( Thank you tho for the smile reading this brought me as I am digging around trying to find some fitting reception music and randomly found a link to this =] -Tory

2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home